[Libav-user] Clarifications about why "--use-nonfree" makes ffmpeg undistributable given the LGPL

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Nov 26 12:13:43 CET 2012

Carlos Alberto Lopez Perez <clopez at ...> writes:

> Then, why is that "--enable-nonfree" makes ffmpeg
> unredistributable?

You mean: "why is libfaac making ffmpeg unreproducible
even without x264?"
Your question is valid, the original idea was to make it
more likely to get improvements for the native encoder.
(Instead, even more proprietary aac encoders are
supported now.)

But note that the native encoder is not as bad for stereo
output and the use case of needing aac encoding without
h264 encoding is at least not extremely common.

> I understand than meanwhile the linking of ffmpeg
> with the non-free libraries is dynamic there
> shouldn't be any problems distributing it?

dynamic vs static linking is totally unrelated to above
question afaict.

Carl Eugen