[Libav-user] Why container and codec has different time base?

hatred adrozdoff at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 00:04:17 CET 2012

Hi Igor,

As I known some formats require specific timebases (like MPEGTS streams)
so, you can not manipulate with them. But you can manipulate with
CodecContext and can set time base that you need. For example, if FPS equal
to 25, you can set coder time base to 1/25 and simple increment PTS by 1
for every next frame.

If you known russian, you can read my note regard time-bases and PTS:
http://htrd.su/wiki/zhurnal/2012/11/23/ffmpeg_nemnogo_pro_time-base

Briefly:
AVPacket PTS and DTS filelds readed from stream have a Stream time-base
AVFrame PTS field decoded from Packet have a Coder time-base

For encoding all same.

It is my opinion after reading ffmpeg docs and code so more detail info
from ffmpeg develop team welcomed