[Libav-user] FFmpeg components needed to extract audio/video metadata

William Seemann wseemann at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 06:06:25 CEST 2012

Hello!

I'm currently developing an Android application that uses FFmpeg to
retrieve metadata for core supported audio/video formats (see the
formats here:
http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html). In
order to keep the APK build size small I was wondering if anyone can
tell me what components are required to extract metadata? In other
words, what flags are needed at compile time to extract metadata. I'm
currently using the following flags (which work) but I know they could
be more granular:

     FLAGS="$FLAGS --enable-shared --disable-symver"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --enable-small --optimization-flags=-O2"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-doc"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-ffmpeg"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-ffplay"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-ffprobe"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-ffserver"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-avdevice"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-swresample"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-swscale"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-postproc"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-avfilter"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-everything"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --disable-gpl"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --enable-parsers"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --enable-protocol=http"
     FLAGS="$FLAGS --enable-demuxers"

For instance, if I only need to extract metadata for mp3, ogg, and flac
what specifically needs to be enabled? Thanks in advance for any help. -
William