[Libav-user] FFmpeg License Violation - What Are My Remedies?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Oct 10 20:06:14 CEST 2012

Le nonidi 19 vendémiaire, an CCXXI, Matthew Lawrence a écrit :
> I recently purchased an app from Google Play that incorporates the FFmpeg
> library.  Because the app is a derivative work under the LGPLv2.1, I
> believe I am entitled to a copy of the source code for the entire app.  I
> have e-mailed the developer's support staff, but they are refusing to
> release the source code.  I have cited the LGPL to them, but hey claim they
> are required to provide only the source code for the FFmpeg library.  I
> believe that they are in violation of the license and are violating both my
> legal rights and those of the FFmpeg team.

As other have pointed out, since this is the LGPL and not the GPL, they are
not required to give away their full source code, only the source code of
FFmpeg as they have built it.

They are also required to provide anything you might need to rebuild their
application using a modified version of ffmpeg. In this particular case,
FFmpeg is likely loaded as a shared library, so they would only have to
provide the possible JNI glue they have included in said library, and
possibly only as pre-built object files.

Also note that you are not legally party of the LGPL violation, only the
FFmpeg copyright holders are entitled to seek reparation in such a case.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George