[Libav-user] Best way to provide avcodec_decode_video2 with h264 data?

Tim Pitman tapitman11 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 00:42:55 CEST 2012

I'm encoding a low latency stream using x264 with intra-refresh and
decoding using libavcodec. I'm trying to understand the best way to
pass data to libavcodec because it's giving me some error messages
("no frame", etc), even though the stream mostly plays ok. I thought
that I was passing it one NALU at a time, but it turns out I was only
passing it all the data between consecutive SPS and PPS. So it seems
like the  most correct thing to do is get one complete frame and then
hand that to libavcodec. Is this true or is it ok to pass it one NALU
at a time or use some other method?

Thanks,
Tim