[Libav-user] soft telecine 29.97 fps

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Wed Oct 31 14:03:37 CET 2012

Alex Balk <abalk at ...> writes:

> When i use ffmpeg to encode an h264 input into mpeg2 video,
> I notice that even though my h264 file has some frames with
> pic_struct = 8 indicating frame doubling for soft telecined
> video, the mpeg2 output has the repeat_first_field set to 0
> on all frames.

I am mildly interested in this, but since I live in
PAL-country, I don't know enough about it.
Could you explain how the flag is useful for you?
(I simply don't understand why you don't want to output
the 24fps video with 24fps, but I am obviously missing
something. Or is the original mixed telecine-progressive
material? Then the next sentence is even more important,
because I don't think we have such a sample for h264.)
Please provide a sample.

Carl Eugen