[Libav-user] using ffmpeg libraries to split a video

Yousef Alhashemi yousef.alhashemi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 00:09:04 CEST 2013

Hi,

I asked a question on the ffmpeg support forum (ffmpeg.gusari.org) and
someone pointed me to this list, so I'm repeating my question here:

I would like to use ffmpeg libraries to split a video into equal-sized
chunks of smaller files. For example, let's say I have a 100MB video that
I'd like to split into 10 10MB videos using the same audio/video codec and
container format. On the command-line, it would be something like this
(assuming 10MB of data = 10 seconds of video): ffmpeg -i input.file -ss
"00:00:00" -t "00:00:10" -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.file (and repeat
the same for the remaining 9 chunks)

My question is, what are the actual ffmpeg library calls that do the
equivalent of this command? I can dig in the code and find out myself but
that would take me a lot of time because I'm not familiar with the (large)
code base of ffmpeg. I would appreciate any help from ffmpeg developers; I
imagine this is easy to answer.

Thanks,
Yousef