[Libav-user] Understanding libav branch

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Fri Dec 20 10:31:05 CET 2013

Leo Fernando <leo.fernando34 at ...> writes:

> I see libav has two branches, mainly 0.8.x and 9.x

avconv (which is a less confusing name) contains
several hundred known user-reported bugs that are
not reproducible with FFmpeg (some of them security-
relevant), please understand that we cannot support
it here, see http://ffmpeg.org/download.html for
supported versions.
http://blog.pkh.me/p/13-the-ffmpeg-libav-situation.html
contains more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle
contains some general information about releases but
note that imo it does not cover open-source software
releases well. FFmpeg releases are just snapshots for
distributors, end users are strongly encouraged to use
current git head.

Carl Eugen