[Libav-user] any way to interrupt avcodec_decode_video2 ?

Don Moir donmoir at comcast.net
Tue Dec 31 10:45:42 CET 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Eugen Hoyos" <cehoyos at ag.or.at>
To: <libav-user at ffmpeg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 4:08 AM
Subject: Re: [Libav-user]any way to interrupt avcodec_decode_video2 ?

> Don Moir <donmoir at ...> writes:
>
>> Since app is timeline oriented, trying to keep seek time
>> down to minimum and if avcodec_decode_video2 has been
>> called, seems there is no way out until its finished
>> and this decoding time can delay a new seek attempt.
>
> Are you looking for CODEC_FLAG2_SHOW_ALL?
>
> Carl Eugen

No. I can easily check between calls to avcodec_decode_video2 but once its called you are stuck until it returns. Would be nice to
be able to interrupt it for quicker seeking and to end 'the' video more quickly. Doesn't matter too much for a simple player app,
but I have things on timelines and also video coming and going quicky. Things are time corrected to a timeline but the more I can
reduce impact from things like this the better off we are.

A simple seek to zero is quick, but if I have to wait on avcodec_decode_video2 to return, then its slower and can be quite slow. I
don't mean finish as in the flag (gotframe) to avcodec_decode_video2, but just waiting on it to return period.