[Libav-user] Complying with L-GPL license

Kalileo kalileo at universalx.net
Tue Feb 12 14:39:32 CET 2013

On Feb 12, 2013, at 20:11 , Phil Turmel wrote:

> On 02/12/2013 06:07 AM, Kalileo wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 12, 2013, at 05:03 , Phil Turmel wrote:
>
> [trim /]
>
>>> If you zip up the source and include it in your CD or download
>>> every time you publish, you have fulfilled that requirement without
>>> stepping on any toes.
>>

>> And if you would use the precompiled .dll files from
>> http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ , how could you practically do
>> that?
>
> If you can't comply with the terms of the license, you can't
> redistribute.  It's that simple.
>
> Zeranoe is complying with the license by offering the corresponding
> source code with his builds.  If you want to redistribute his build,
> you'd better grab the source he used each time you download.
>
> If you are redistributing his builds without corresponding source, and
> not offering that source to your customers (paid or not), you are
> violating the license.  You can only avoid offering it if you included
> it in the package with each copy of your app that you distribute.

Thanks Phil and Carl Eugen,

that makes it clear, and I hope it also helps the starter of this thread with the original question.

From a practical point of view, I understand that the sources (even if unmodified) should be either
- added to the software package (which gets distributed, and contains the .dll files) or
- there should be an offer included in the software package with a download link to the sources pointing to server(s) of the creator or distributor of that software package (and not the servers of ffmpeg or Zerranoe).

I'm pretty sure this is missed often, because it seems to be all available on the ffmpeg servers or the Zeranoe server already.