[Libav-user] Converting audio sample buffer format

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Feb 25 11:39:27 CET 2013

René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at ...> writes:

> >In any case, using gdb should quickly show you were the
> >problem lies.
>
> Exactly, but you'd need to build the libav libs yourself,
> with debugging info.

One could argue that on this mailing list, only self-compiled
FFmpeg is supported (because you should get support wherever
you download your binaries).

> There's another thing that's nagging me. IIUC, the goal here
> is to convert a buffer of (C) floats into signed shorts. I
> have some difficulty believing that doing this through a
> generic workhouse function can be more efficient than
> writing a simple loop and let a good optimising compiler
> create the best assembly out of it ...

Such a very implausible claim definitely needs
some performance numbers.
(Or in other words: No, current compilers are
unable to optimize code the way you expect them.)

Please fix your quotes, Carl Eugen