[Libav-user] stereo AAC decoding: right channel is silence

Nathan Jahnke njahnke at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 00:45:02 CET 2013

Maybe someone can help me spot my error. It's a simple program that
decodes a stereo AAC stream inside an mp4 container. I tried compiling
and linking against both ffmpeg-1.1 and current git. In both cases I
get all 0's where I should have the decoded right channel samples in
the buffer. However, the standalone ffmpeg binary can decode both
channels OK, so I know it is my error somewhere.

http://nate.quandra.org/decode.c
http://nate.quandra.org/input.mp4

My output is:

AAC (Advanced Audio Coding): codec id 86018
counted 11318428 zeroes (50.223339%)

The right channel is silent, thus all the 0's. But if I use the
standalone ffmpeg binary:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 output.wav

... the right channel is OK in the output file.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nathan