[Libav-user] Transcoding + streaming to server

Bradley O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Wed Jan 23 23:04:14 CET 2013

Hello,

I have a use case that is conceptually pretty simple: I need to programmatically (i.e. in code using the ffmpeg libraries) capture video from a webcam, and stream it to a server. The devil's always in the details, here are mine:

1. I am capturing video from a webcam on Mac OS X using QTKit (already works, no problem there).
2. I need to feed the frames captured in 1 to ffmpeg, and transcode the video to flv format.
3. I need to push the flv video frames via RTMP to Wowza streaming server.

Now, I have proofed very near to this concept by successfully using the ffmpeg binary to transcode and stream to Wowza using the following command from the console:

ffmpeg -i ~/SampleVideo.mp4 -re -r 24 -b:v 1000k -f flv rtmp://localhost/live/SAMPLE_STREAM

This works, and I can successfully consume this published video to Wowza in a video player, so that would seem to be a solid indication that ffmpeg can do what is being attempted. The guidance I need from all of you ffmpeg gurus on the list, is some guidance for how to convert the command line above to code, i.e. what libraries to use (and how to use them programmatically) to accomplish the same transcoding and streaming.

If anyone can lend some guidance, sample code, and/or maybe a good coffee to drink while figuring this out, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

Brad O'Hearne
Founder/Lead Developer