[Libav-user] avcodec_decode_video2 error handling

Ratin ratin3 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 21:39:19 CET 2013

Hi, I have been using my HW accelerated decoder that I build up with VAAPI
/ Intel driver in co-ordication with stock lgpl ffmpeg (ffmpeg passes the
the bitstream to VLD), as I am decoding frames from a camera which puts out
videos of sizes 2536 x 1600, I occassionally get this errors:

[h264 @ 0x7fffe80dd6c0] QP 117 out of range
[h264 @ 0x7fffe80dd6c0] decode_slice_header error

I think it happens because of corrupt RTP video packets. But regardless, I
am not getting an error code from FFMpeg's  avcodec_decode_video2. Also
once this happens, it never recovers. But restarting the whole chain fixes
it again.

I would like to know if there is a way to set error_recognition ( like in
AVFormatContext ) for codec context when I am creating the codec context
myself based on information i gather from the camera. Perhaps that will
force an error to be send to upper level.

Thanks

Ratin