[Libav-user] Why ffmpeg is writing to stderr instead of stdout?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed Jul 24 11:08:09 CEST 2013

Le sextidi 6 thermidor, an CCXXI, satya gowtham kudupudi a écrit :
> I am making system call to above command and i want to extract only error
> message but unfortunately ffmpeg is writing non error messages to stderr.

Well, errors are *supposed* to go to stderr, it means "standard *error*
stream", after all; other diagnostics messages belong there as well. ffmpeg
can produce actual output to stdout, for further processing in a pipeline,
you would not want a Matroska stream mixed with error messages.

Redirecting stderr to stdout is pretty easy from the calling shell.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George