[Libav-user] Possible fix for rare core-dumps in H264

Mark Stevans mark39518 at cesinst.com
Fri Jun 21 07:43:20 CEST 2013

When playing unreliable H264 streams with FFPlay, I seem to get
core-dumps randomly every few hours.  The exact location is usually the
second instruction of "pred8x8_top_dc_8_mmxext" in "h264_intrapred.asm",
where it dereferences "dest_cr" after subtracting "uvlinesize" from it,
as called from the line reading

     h->hpc.pred8x8[h->chroma_pred_mode](dest_cr, uvlinesize);

in "h264_mb_template.c".  "uvlinesize" is typically something like 320
at the time of crash, with "mb_y" zero.

My take on this is that, when presented with garbaged stream data, the
H264 frame decoder sometimes tries to perform predictions that involve
higher rows (lower memory addresses): if "mb_y" happens to be zero (the
top row), this means that it tries to read memory from "negative rows",
addresses a few hundred bytes before the beginning of the legitimate
frame data.  Often, those addresses point to harmless random bytes, but
occasionally it actually points to unmapped memory pages, causing Access
Violations.

My fix is crude: changing the code to read

     if (mb_y <= 0 && (
         h->chroma_pred_mode == TOP_DC_PRED8x8 ||
         h->chroma_pred_mode == DC_PRED8x8 ||
         h->chroma_pred_mode == VERT_PRED8x8)
     ) {
         av_log(NULL, AV_LOG_WARNING, "Skipping prediction involving
previous data rows because mb_y is zero\n");
     } else {
         h->hpc.pred8x8[h->chroma_pred_mode](dest_cb, uvlinesize);
         h->hpc.pred8x8[h->chroma_pred_mode](dest_cr, uvlinesize);
     }

(I got the list of modes from searching the assembly language for cases
where "uvlinesize" was subtracted from the destination).  So far, this
patch seems to avoid the crashing, though I can't be totally sure
without days of testing.  At any rate, there's probably a similar fix
for "mb_x" being zero and horizontal predictions, though that wouldn't
cause core-dumps.  And there might be similar fixes needed in other codecs.

Is this a sensible diagnosis, or a sensible fix?  Can I do something
better to avoid these crashes?  Thanks for any comments anyone cares to
make....

MLS