[Libav-user] libav-user list post!

Alex Cohn alexcohn at netvision.net.il
Mon Mar 4 13:02:34 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 12:01 PM, thanh nhan thanh nhan
<nhanndt_87 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I saw that the ffmpeg library files such as libavcodec.a, libavformat.a....are huge-size files. When we link them into executable file, are they attached into executable file with the whole size no matter which ffmpeg function we use???

No, the linker resolves the necessary parts only. But the dependencies
between ffmpeg components are sometimes built into the compiled code.
That's why you can achieve significant gain if you compile the
libraries with fewer features enabled.

BR,
Alex