[Libav-user] Building with MSVC toolchain resulting in seekingproblem?

John Orr john.orr at scala.com
Tue Mar 12 20:08:05 CET 2013

On 3/12/2013 2:51 PM, Don Moir wrote:

> The main motivation for using MSVC to build ffmpeg at this point for
> me would be to be able to debug ffmpeg from MSVC. Does this work or not ?

It mostly works for me when I disabled Frame Pointer Omission: */Oy-*

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2kxx5t2c%28v=vs.100%29.aspx

I also set the debug information format to use PDB: /Zi

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/958x11bc%28v=vs.100%29.aspx

The configuration script seem to generate both -Oy and -Oy- flags (as
well as both -Zi and -Z7), so, in config.mak, I had to manually remove
-Oy and -Z7 from CFLAGS and replace -Z7 in config.mak with -Zi.  I don't
yet understand the configuration script well enough to know how to fix
that properly, so I did it manually.

The Visual Studio 2010 debugger is able to navigate through calls
through the ffmpeg dlls this way.  Sometimes it does not see the local
variables.

> Another motivation might be to get static link builds to work instead
> of DLL. Anyone know if that works ? static link builds from
> cross-compile linux have link problems when linking in MSVC. I was
> able to get a static link to work with a minimal build but it was
> always something so gave up on it.

Sorry, I didn't try that.

--Johno