[Libav-user] --disable-asm --disable-yasm options

Dolevo Jay cmst at live.com
Tue Mar 26 09:20:24 CET 2013

> To: libav-user at ffmpeg.org
> From: cehoyos at ag.or.at
> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 21:36:50 +0000
> Subject: Re: [Libav-user] --disable-asm --disable-yasm options
>
> Dolevo Jay <cmst at ...> writes:
>
> > Do I lose a lot of decoding performance because
> > of --disable-yasm option?
>
> If you are compiling for x86 (either 32 or 64bit), you
> should definitely compile with yasm for performance
> reasons. Many optimisations have been ported from
> inline assembly to yasm over the last years.
> (yasm cannot be used when compiling for other hardware.)
>
> --disable-asm is relevant for all (most) platforms, you
> should never use it except for debugging (as with
> --disable-yasm), if you have any problems when not using
> it, please report them either here or on trac.
>
> Please understand the project is called "FFmpeg", find
> the current version at http://ffmpeg.org/download.html
>
> Carl Eugen

Hello,

Thank you very much for your inputs.
When I don't use --disable-yasm option, I got tons of errors just because the yasm version that we are using in openembedded is quite old and ffmpeg requires a newer version of yasm. Updating yasm is fairly easy but then I got multiple of tons of different errors due to compatibility issues between different packages that are used in openembedded.
I guess there is no option except updating the whole openembedded which is way beyond my knowledge.

Thanks a lot.
Regards,