[Libav-user] Understanding planar data arrangement in AVFrame

Pradeep Karosiya praks411 at gmail.com
Mon May 6 14:37:16 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm trying to encode raw audio samples. Though encoding is working fine. I'm
not able to understand some of the field of AVFrame specially related to
planar data.
Can someone explain what is the different between data and extended_data in
AVFrame and how they are use during encoding.
I got the linesize which says that it contains the size of each channel.
But how the raw samples are stored in this structure.
AVFrame
{
uint8_t *data[AV_NUM_DATA_POINTERS];
 int linesize[AV_NUM_DATA_POINTERS];
 uint8_t **extended_data;

}

Also do I need explicitly free memory buffers allocated during encoding? I'm
getting memory leaks while encoding even though I'm doing proper clean-up.
Thanks
Pradeep