[Libav-user] Using the libav* libraries in a thread-safe manner?

Brad O'Hearne brado at bighillsoftware.com
Wed May 15 18:38:07 CEST 2013

On May 15, 2013, at 9:02 AM, Joe Flowers <joe.flowers at nofreewill.com> wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> Very interesting comments. I am worrying more about the speed hit of putting it in a wrapper. We're in a real-time audio processing situation. Your experience is most appreciated.

"Real-time": there indeed is the rub. I have had to solve two real-time video / audio network streaming use-cases over the past year, one in particular where minimum latency was absolutely imperative (<= .5 sec). What I found was that repeated memory allocation during frame processing resulted in my biggest hit to latency. So eliminate that where possible. For example, in my recent audio capture-encode-streaming use case I have a scenario where it is theoretically possible for the sample format, sample rate, and number of samples per buffer to change midstream during processing. I haven't encountered that, but according to the capture API it is possible. Should that happen, it would require the source data buffer, destination data buffer, and resampling context to also be recreated. So I create once, then check every frame to see if anything has changed -- if it has, reallocate, otherwise, reuse. That was a performance tweak I made from allocating every frame, after I got the thing working properly.

The other tip as far as locking goes -- the best locking design is one where locking isn't needed at all. Again, I don't know what you can pull off in your design, but if you can avoid it entirely by just managing multiple instances of things, it might be worth considering. In other words, don't send the cars all down the same lane -- add another lane to your freeway. In real-time processing, speed is the prime directive, so it is usually OK to give up a little in memory to increase throughput.

Good luck...

Brad