[Libav-user] decoding mp3

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 23:58:20 CET 2013

On date Monday 2013-11-25 22:39:36 +0000, Carl Eugen Hoyos nutted:
> Michael Winter <mwinter at ...> writes:
>
> > What is used for decoding mp3?
>
> The mp3 (or mpegaudio) decoder.
> (Sorry.)
>
> > Does it comply with the --enable-nonfree compilation?
>
> This question makes no sense to me, I suspect "nonfree"
> means something something completely different for you
> than for the FFmpeg developers.
>
> The --enable-nonfree option of configure allows you
> to compile external libraries that are only available
> under a software license that is not compatible with
> the GPL. It is mostly needed for aac encoders like
> libfaac. It has no meaning for any internal parts
> of FFmpeg, FFmpeg does not contain any code that is
> not licensed under GPL or LGPL.
> (The mp3 decoder is an internal part of FFmpeg.)

Just let me note that "--enable-nonfree" is an incredibly poor and
confusing name choice (what is "free"?, why should a non-GPL license
be considered "non-free"?). Thus it is almost inevitable that it will
confuse people.

"free" is a vastly generic term and should not be used in technical
context. A possibly better choice would be "--enable-non-rms-free".