[Libav-user] Is libav thread-safe?

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 8 21:05:37 CEST 2013

I want to create several pthreads in a C++ program (assuming you can call
libav routines from a C++ program) that each call libav subroutines.

Are the libav subroutines  thread-safe?  Specifically,
can several pthreads open the same AVI file and decode different video
frames concurrently?

I'm doing this so I can write a real-time video that
can play the video forward and backwards, and the multiple threads will
help decode and process each frame quickly so there will be no delay when
I step through the video.