[Libav-user] Problems with ffvhuff and huvvyuv

Bruce Wheaton bruce at spearmorgan.com
Wed Oct 16 17:40:26 CEST 2013

Bruce

> On Oct 16, 2013, at 6:52, James Board <jpboard2 at yahoo.
> Does my question make sense to anyone?  Or am I doing something very wrong
> with libav and seeking?  Has anyone seen this behavior before when you seek to
> position N in a file, but the first few frames that get decoded are lower than N?
> Is there a better way?

Yes, this is known and basically unavoidable with most codecs. Each frame is dependent on one or more frames that came before. Even if a system made this seem to not happen, from your point of view, it still would be happening in the background.

I mentioned this problem when discussing multi threading.

The only workaround is to use intra-frame only compression, so all frames are independent. Some codecs you listed always work that way.

Bruce