[Libav-user] H.264 Decoder and Royalties

video_decoder michaelarice at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 20:35:07 CET 2013

I know this question has been asked in different forms before on this and
other forums, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

I am writing a proprietary in-house application that's using libav built in
LGPL mode. It is using libav to receive and decode an incoming RTSP network
stream with an H.264 payload. It doesn't do any encoding or retransmitting
of the video. It will probably only be distributed to < 10 users.

My question is regarding the need to pay the MPEG-LA royalties for using
H.264. I've read lots of information about when you do and don't need to
pay, and I've read that if you only distribute a small number of copies then
you don't have to pay the royalties, etc.

So, what I'm looking for is the definitive IANL answer?

Thanks.