[Libav-user] Hardware accelerated decoding

Oleg mybrokenbeat at gmail.com
Thu Sep 5 12:53:46 CEST 2013

Hi,

1. VDA is faster then CPU decoding in general.
2. CPU usage of VDA API depends on your video-card. Old cards don't support full decoding acceleration and some job is still done by CPU. All cards have limitation on image size.
3. VDA decoded frames could be rendered without copying frame to RAM, using OpenGL. Anyway ffmpeg stores all frames in RAM, so h264_vda decoder copies each frame to RAM that's way h264_vda could be slower then classical h264 decoder.