[Libav-user] Seeking, timestamps, AVFrame, AVStream

James Board jpboard2 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 16 16:19:02 CEST 2013

>Try looking at the documentation in the header files, in this case

>avcodec.h. It should help you quite a bit.

Yes, I looked at avcodec.h and could not find what I wanted.  When I was
previously discussing the inaccuracy of floating-point numbers and how I wanted
to use frame numbers in editing, everyone said I should be using timestamps.
Then I complained that timestamps were specified by floating-point numbers
which aren't accurate.  Then Nicolas George said something like the timestamps
stored internally were exact.  So where are those timestamps stored?

When I asked how to calculate a timestamp as a function of the frame number,
the answer was I can't do that.  Instead, I should merely read the timestamp.  Okay,
I'm taking the advice.  Where do I read the timestamp from?  Is it stored in
AVFrame, AVPacket, the stream, the CodecContext?   It it best_effort_timestamp?

Thanks.