[Libav-user] Getting started with ffmpeg

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Sep 26 20:30:52 CEST 2013

Nick Wood <nick at ...> writes:

> 1. Is ffmpeg the proper choice for decoding and
> displaying the .ts files?

I suspect you can try if ffmpeg (the command line tool)
and ffplay can read your file to answer this question.
(I don't think anybody else can answer the question
unless you upload a sample which likely takes longer
than testing.)

> 2. How do I get started implementing ffmpeg into my
> PyQT project?  I downloaded ffmpeg, but where/how do
> I get it into the PyQT project?

Isn't this a question for a PyQT-related mailing list?
FFmpeg (actually libavcodec, libavformat and libavutil)
are C libraries, what you want is probably possible if
C libraries are supported at all.
As an alternative, you can probably call ffmpeg (the
command line application) from your PyQT project.

> 3. Can I also use ffmpeg to record the video and
> it's metadata?

That depends on what you mean with "record".
FFmpeg for example supports capturing the screen
on X.
For recording DVB, I would suggest cat (or
mplayer -dumpstream).

Carl Eugen