[Libav-user] "no picture" from decoding single h264 keyframe

Andrey Utkin andrey.krieger.utkin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 03:28:27 CEST 2014

Hi all!
I am checking a C application using ffmpeg libs, which does the following:
it demuxes h264 stream from RTSP channel, and, when an event happens,
it waits for next keyframe (determined with AVPacket.flags &
AV_PKT_FLAG_KEY), creates appropriate decoder AVCodecContext for it,
and decodes the frame for further processing. The idea is that having
a keyframe, we can decode just single encoded frame and get valid
picture. This approach must have been working correctly in practice,
but now i have it not working with h264 stream from IP camera Axis
M1034-W; the decoding operation indicates that we got no picture (by a
avcodec_decode_video2() flag parameter), and prints
[h264 @ blah] no picture

This shouldn't be RTP loss, the camera is connected directly to my PC
with a patchcord.
If that is needed, i can share a remuxed stream dump.
BTW Is there an easy way to print out the types of encoded h264 frames

Could please somebody elaborate what exactly happens? Is above
approach generally broken, or it can be fixed (without decoding a lot
more frames)?

--
Andrey Utkin