[Libav-user] Using hardware acceleration on OS X

Info || Non-Lethal Applications info at non-lethal-applications.com
Thu Apr 3 10:40:20 CEST 2014

Hey there,

while doing some research, I stumbled upon a patch from 2012 where hardware acceleration support was added to ffmpeg by Sebastian Zwickert.
I was wondering if this is used by default or what I’d need to do to make use of it?

I still see a CPU load performance difference when playing back a movie in Apple’s QT and with ffmpeg.
I have an H.264 clip here which plays at 2.5% CPU load with QT and with around 20% with ffmpeg.
This is NOT a complaint! I was just wondering if this might be related to an unused hardware acceleration?

Thanks,

best,

Flo