[Libav-user] Video scaling

Arnaud Bienner arnaud.bienner at gmail.com
Mon Dec 22 15:11:56 CET 2014

Hi,

Looking at the examples provided with ffmpeg (2.5) there are two examples
to scale an image if I'm right: scaling_video.c but also filtering_video.c,
which filter is "scale=78:24" so I assumed it is also doing some scaling.

I believe that once the filter will be parsed and interpreted, this will
lead to same underlying code being executed, but I just wanted to be sure.
Or is there any reason to prefer on method over the other, regarding
performance/features available? (except that filters are probably more
convenient to use, but here I'm really interested in performance issues, or
features missing when using filters and vice versa).

I think it might find the answer by looking at the code, but I'm afraid to
miss something and I believe there are more experienced ffmpeg users here
who might know well how all this is working.

In advance, thanks a lot!

Arnaud