[Libav-user] Decoding external subtitles

Mert Gedik gedikmert89 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 20:56:28 CET 2014

Hello,

I've made a video player for iOS using ffmpeg libraries with the help of
dranger tutorial.
It is working well, and now I want to add subtitle feature.

I know that, ffmpeg can decode internal subtitle stream, and for a long
investigation, I realized that subtitle filter can decode external subtitle.

For example,
ffplay movie.mp4 -vf subtitles=movie.srt

This renders the external subtitle on the screen. I use render word ,  as
subtitles are drawn on the screen and when I resize to a bigger frame size,
the text resolution becomes lower.

What I need is using the ffmpeg subtitle decoders but don't want to render
it as fflay does, I want to get decoded subtitle data and show it in my
UILabel.

Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks for helping,

Regards,