[Libav-user] avcodec_decode_video2 missing the first 8 frames

Matt Orlando morlando616 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 16:49:47 CEST 2014

Thanks for the response.  That's very interesting, though I wonder if it
could actually be header related.  Based on the videos, I know for sure
there are exactly 64 frames in the first movie, for instance.  My
m_FrameRead is only increased if avcodec_decode_video2 says it was able to
get a picture.  My thinking is that if it was a header that was read, that
function wouldn't set frameFinished to "true".  So av_read_frame hits the
EOF when my m_FrameRead counter is only 56.

Are you saying that perhaps the av_read_frame is reading a bunch of data
(header + frames) and my avcodec_decode_video2 says there's no picture
because there's header data in there.  Then a few frames later (or maybe
next frame), av_read_frame reads more data, now including the 9th 'frame'
and finally avcodec_decode_video2 decodes and I increment my counter (which
would be now 1 when I'd want it to be 9).

Thanks for the help!
-Matt