[Libav-user] Interesting HEVC encoding bug with different presets

Taha Ansari mtaha.ansari at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 12:38:26 CEST 2014

Another observation - error I originally got was:

x265 [error]: maxCUSize must be the same for all encoders in a single
process

So, I looked at log x265 generated for different presets, and I found out
that following presets: ultrafast, superfast, and veryfast, show:

x265 [info]: CU size                             : 32

whereas, following presets: faster, fast, medium, slow, slower, veryslow,
and placebo show:

x265 [info]: CU size                             : 64

Now coming back to the original error x265 shows:

"x265 [error]: maxCUSize must be the same for all encoders in a single
process"

This probably solves the problem (temporarily). Presets mentioned above
have their own CU size, hence not all of them are interchangeable.

I can see this feature is currently not available fully with libx265 -
maybe it will be added later on.