[Libav-user] Programmatically detecting dropped frames

Mike Nelson mike at realrunners.com
Mon Jun 16 19:20:36 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm using libav to encode (x264) and broadcast (rtmp) live video and audio
to a server. I need to know if I'm dropping frames, for whatever reason and
take appropriate action.

Is there a way through the API to know if
   a: cpu/encoding process can't keep up with the real time video/audio feed
   b: network is too slow to stream the packets

Upon detection I'd like to change the settings (bitrate, resolution,
etc...) and restart the broadcast.

Does anyone know how I might get this information out of libav?

Thanks,
Mike Nelson