[Libav-user] FFmpeg scaling problem

Ryan Grewatz grewa008 at d.umn.edu
Fri Jun 20 17:44:11 CEST 2014

Hello all,

I'm fairly new to using ffmpeg. Currently I'm trying to use ffmpeg within
an Android application of mine to view a live rtsp stream with h264 endoded
video. I've been using code from an ffmpeg and Android NDK tutorial (link
below) to help me understand how to use it with Android. Everything has
been working out great, until I started trying to scale the output. When I
try to scale at a ratio other than 1:1 (no scaling), I get a garbled up
stream. I decided to run the tutorial to see if it was my code that was
wrong, but I still ended up with the same mess. So I'm kind of lost as to
how to fix this. Has anybody else had problems like this or know what I
could be doing wrong?

Here's the tutorial:
https://github.com/roman10/android-ffmpeg-tutorial/tree/master/android-ffmpeg-tutorial02

Native code (uses the ffmpeg library):
https://github.com/roman10/android-ffmpeg-tutorial/blob/master/android-ffmpeg-tutorial02/jni/tutorial02.c

Screenshot of my stream with no scaling:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/s1e509yfmisfv7g/Screenshot_2014-06-20-09-42-42.png

Screenshot of my stream scaled up:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8h9039nw3sxaz2/Screenshot_2014-06-20-09-45-00.png

Screenshot of my stream scaled down: