[Libav-user] reduce dll size

Michael Chisholm chisholm at mitre.org
Wed Mar 5 00:42:29 CET 2014

On 3/4/2014 6:42 AM, YIRAN LI wrote:

>> YIRAN LI <mrfun.china at ...> writes:
>>
>>> I think our dlls were built with --disable-debug on.
>>
>> Yes, 8MB is the size of the stripped binary, the
>> debug binaries would be several times as big.
>> Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>> If you don't need all features of libavcodec, only
>> enable the ones you need to get a smaller library.
>>
>> Please do not top-post here, Carl Eugen
>>
>> Sorry for top-post Carl,
>
> I've checked that ffmpeg build by default does strip. So since I've already
> disabled debug, there may not have many options
> to significantly reduce the dll size, unless I turn to build it with MSVC :(

Just throwing this out there: I see a configure script param:

--optflags=OPTFLAGS      override optimization-related compiler flags

You could tell the compiler to optimize for size rather than speed by
using -Os [1].

The libs may not perform as well, but that's the tradeoff.  I've never
tried this, so I don't know how much of an effect it would make.

Andy

1.
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.8.2/gcc/Optimize-Options.html#Optimize-Options