[Libav-user] segmentation fault on avcodec_decode_video2( ) call

Jason Blum jason.j.blum at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 05:22:17 CET 2014

> You would rerun the configure call with the --disable-stripping flag and
> --enable-debug.

I have been trying to do this for hours, but have been unsuccessful.

I can compile the library into static library files (.a) without
issue, but I cannot link to them. My compilation just completely
ignores them. I've been searching for solutions for hours, like
-static and such. Nothing works! Only the old shared .so libraries are
recognized, using -lavcodec for example.

So I think, well why don't I compile ffmpeg as shared. I use this:
$ ./configure --enable-shared --enable-debug --disable-stripping

Which leads to my next problem, the error message:
LD	libavcodec/libavcodec.so.55
/usr/bin/ld: libavcodec/mqc.o: relocation R_X86_64_32 against
`.rodata' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with
-fPIC
libavcodec/mqc.o: could not read symbols: Bad value
make: *** [libavcodec/libavcodec.so.55] Error 1

So I attempt to use
./configure --enable-shared --enable-debug --disable-stripping
--extra-cflags="-fPIC"
and
./configure --enable-shared --enable-debug --disable-stripping
--extra-cxxflags="-fPIC"

But neither stop the error about fPIC from occurring.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason