[Libav-user] Timing Issues Only With Windows Media Player

Stephen H. Gerstacker stephen at napkinstudio.com
Fri Mar 14 19:16:48 CET 2014

That’s more to the question. Is there a “proper” way to create an MP4 / H.264 / AAC file?

I wrote some code to inject empty audio frames at the very beginning of the audio stream, which seems to help, but I had to restructure a lot of code to get it there. Am I missing a flag of the stream? the container?

Oddly enough, once the audio stream is initially padded, it’s fine. So I can have:

- 20 seconds of video
- 5 second audio pause, 5 second audio, 5 second pause, 5 second audio

The second audio part plays at the proper time, so it just seems like the initial audio padding is just needed.

I have similar code on the Mac side using AVFoundation and their encoder seems to push in empty audio packets.

- Stephen