[Libav-user] reduce dll size

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 04:52:15 CET 2014

Sorry for top posting, email mistakenly sent before finished :D

As I said in last mail, statically linked external objects are quite small
in avcodec, and all other reference like strlen strcpy is to msvcrt.dll, so
I think the answer to common code duplication in dlls is no.

So the options I have now is, either to manually disable some codecs, or,
to remove some never used exported functions.

My version of libavcode exports 285 functions, and a part of them won't be
used in my program. (but may be used in avcodec itself, like those ff_***
). So what I'd like to know is, can I first remove the function names from
libavcodec.v (so that symbols are not exported), and then build and strip.
If a function is never used in libavcodec and is only for export purpose,
will exclude it from export causes strip to remove it completely? (because
it's not used, and not exported).

I know is more about a ld problem than a ffmpeg problem. But really need
your help.

Thanks