[Libav-user] libx264 api help

Raihan Allie raihan.allie.za at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 14:55:37 CEST 2014

I am trying to encode a file using the libx264 codec and an MP4 container
for the output but the encoding never seems to finish. The script runs to
completing but it only encodes a portion of the original video and then
stops, resulting in a non-playable MP4 video that is of length 00:00. Even
tried playing the video in VLC, which failed.

Below is my command line i have used...

$cmdmp4 = 'ffmpeg -y -i filename.mp4 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -crf 28 -s
640x360 -strict -2 newfilename.mp4 2>&1';

If anyone can help explain to my why this is happening, I would thoroughly
appreciate the help.

Raihan Allie