[Libav-user] need help with format/codec/options configuration data

Good Guy good1.2guy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 16:00:55 CEST 2015

HI,

I have done extensive work on cinelerra, a media composing tool, and
recently upgraded its ffmpeg interface.  The change now provides the use of
the encoders using a primitive options parsing schema.  I do work with
codecs/stream formats... but not like you guys.  This is not set is stone
but the current implementation asks the user to select preset file for
audio/video stream coding.  The first line is a format codec pair, where
the format must match.  There in lies the rub.  My knowledge of the
historical use of formats and codecs is limited.  I need a big list of the
mainly used combinations that user may want to use so I can add them to the
preset file directories.

here are a few examples which are simple test files.
the lines starting with = are files in the preset directory

=ffmpeg.opts:
# apply at file open
hide_banner=1

=decode.opts
# apply at init decode
loglevel=fatal
formatprobesize=5000000
scan_all_pmts=1
threads=auto

=encode.opts
# apply at init encode
threads=auto

the first line of these files are format/codec names
the rest of the lines are options for the codec.

=audio/dvd
dvd ac3

=audio/mpeg3
mpeg mp3

=video/dvd
dvd mpeg2video
b 4000000

=video/mpeg mpeg2video
b=4000000

I suspect there are some of you that have hoards of cool command
line stashes which would solve my problem.  If you are so inclined,
send my your recommendations.

The code is just checked in and not well tested yet,
but if your of intrepid heart, you can try it here:
git clone https://code.google.com/p/cinelerra

Be sure to go to the settings->preferences page and
check ffmpeg early probe, or you will get the old stuff.
If you want to send in bugs, turn on the segv/intr traps too.

This code is new and not really quite dialed in.  Any suggestions
would be helpful.

Thanks for your attention.
good.guy