[Libav-user] Proper way to reset H264 Codec

Randy Ly randy at searidgetech.com
Wed Apr 22 21:58:29 CEST 2015

Hello,

I am having some issues receiving RTSP image data from an IP camera. We get
into a state where we can receive the data, feed it into the codec via
avcodec_decode_video2(...), but we never get signaled that a full frame is
ready for use (via the got_picture_ptr parameter). The return value for the
function is > 0, so there is some bytes being decoded. If I restart the
application, or start another instance of the same application (on a
different PC, because of the application itself doesn't allow me to start 2
instances) , then we can get the video frames correctly, so that rules out
networking and camera issues.

We currently call avcodec_flush_buffers(videoDecContext) to try and reset
the the codec, and I can't find any non-pedagogic examples floating around
on the internet.

Here's a sample of a dump of stderr when the logging level is set to WARN.

[h264 @ 034ee100] illegal short term buffer state detected

[h264 @ 94c89660] no frame!
> [h264 @ 94c89660] no frame!
> [h264 @ 9254e960] no frame!