[Libav-user] AMV format

YIRAN LI mrfun.china at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 08:23:14 CEST 2015

Hi Guys,

I was assigned a task to investigate the "amv" format. I checked the wiki
page and it's said that ffmpeg supports decode and encode amv video.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMV_video_format

But when I ran ffmpeg command line tool to convert a mp4 to amv,  I met this

$ ffmpeg.exe -i big_buck_bunny.mp4 a.amv
ffmpeg version N-74386-g542562e Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg
developers
[NULL @ 04070860] Unable to find a suitable output format for 'a.amv'

I think it means the amv format is not supported. And also I couldn't find
anything related to amv using ffmpeg.exe -formats

But when I used ffmpeg.exe -codecs, I could see
DEVIL. amv                  AMV Video

Does anyone knows what's this amv encoder/decoder? Does it have anything to
do with the amv container format?

Thanks