[Libav-user] Building with purchased libraries

Stefano Sabatini stefasab at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 12:45:51 CET 2015

In data Wednesday 2015-12-09 21:37:09 +1000, Yury Udovichenko ha scritto:
> Does this mean we cannot use legally purchased binary library with FFMPEG
> under LGPL license? According to ffmpeg docs, we must use this flag in
> order to build it with h.264 transcoding capabilities.

I think this is a legit use case. I think the proper fix is to enable
the ffmpeg build system to support the commercially-licensed libx264
version.

Question: (how) can you programmatically distinguish between regular and
"commercial" libx264 libraries? Something like a macro or something?

Otherwise you can specify another case in the configure replacing
enable-libx264 with enable-libx264-commercially-licensed not requiring
the gpl flag (and possibly upstream the patch, to verify that the use
case if effectively recognized lecit by upstream developers).

HTH

[...]

PS Please don't top-post on this mailing-list.