[Libav-user] Use of FFmpeg library available in opencv

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Mon Dec 14 12:27:24 CET 2015

On Monday 14 December 2015 11:15:55 am Ruchith wrote:
> We are using OpenCV in one of our commercial products for video
> playing, and opencv uses FFmpeg library internally in opencv (we
> do not use ffmpeg in our code) .

> But we need to ship ffmpeg with our product.

Given what you wrote above, please understand that *only* shipping
of FFmpeg has restrictions, nothing else.

> Is it still protected under the BSD license

Just to make sure: FFmpeg is protected by the LGPL or the GPL,
depending on the configure option used.

> or do we need to pay for FFmpeg?

You generally cannot pay for free software under GPL or LGPL.

> How will it work?

If you plan to distribute binaries based on FFmpeg source code,
you have to decide (at compile time) if you ship FFmpeg under GPL
or LGPL, then read the license you choose and follow its
requirements.

> This message may contain information that is not intended for you.

Please understand that this footer makes no sense when sending
emails to a public mailing list.

Carl Eugen