[Libav-user] Cause and consequences for "packet too large" and "buffer underflow" errors

Kristensen, Odd-Arild okristensen at albany.edu
Thu Feb 26 05:38:49 CET 2015

I keep getting "packet too large, ignoring buffer limits to mux it" and "buffer underflow [...]" errors when writing my frames. I see that the errors come from output_packet() and remove_decoded_packets(), respectively, but I am unable to trace it back to av_interleaved_write_frame(). What could be the causes for it?

Perhaps more importantly, are there any real consequences to these errors? Will they in any way impact the output? My frames are being encrypted, so every byte in a frame is being manipulated in some way. Could this impact the process?

Any help is very much appreciated!