[Libav-user] Encoding with H264 help/advice needed...

Philip Schneider pjschneider at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 23:43:11 CET 2015

Hi -

Thanks for responding. I’m sure you’re right about the cause of the problem; I’d guess that the offending “format” (is that the proper term for this?) is somehow a default (as it’s not specified explicitly in the code I copied…). The problem is that it’s rather difficult to find out how to change such things, given my relative unfamiliarity with FFmpeg.

On the other hand, in the time since I posted my query, I managed to stumble upon some source code that shows how to use the H.264 codec to create movies from raw RGB data. The code compiled trivially on Mac and Windows, and I’ve successfully created .mov, .avi, and .mp4 files from it, on both platforms...

I expect that with sufficient study of the working example code, I could learn enough to add the necessary settings/parameters to the video_encode_example() function. This would be educational with regard to learning the FFmpeg API, and thus be valuable, but for now I’m just going to swap out the code entirely…

For anyone else who’s interested, here’s the link:

    http://www.imc-store.com.au/Articles.asp?ID=276

- Philip