[Libav-user] Speeding video decoding

Gonzalo Garramuno ggarra13 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 20:58:21 CEST 2015

I have a viewer which allows the user to scrub (play back and forwards)
the video fed into it,  Currently to do this, I cache a set of frames in
memory using my own code (say 60 frames).
However, I find that I still need to call avcodec_decode_video2 so that
frames can be decoded properly if the user steps outside of the 60
frames I cached.
My problem is that calling avcodec_decode_video2 so many times (while
still in the cache range) makes the scrubbing not work smoothly.
I was wondering what, if anything, am I doing wrong or what other trick
can be used to sped up the scrubbing?

Any help is appreciated.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño