[Libav-user] extract min/max/avg QP-values per frame

siriannalisa siriannalisa at gmail.com
Wed May 6 10:56:15 CEST 2015

The quantization parameter (QP) is signaled on several levels in a
H.264 stream. Absolute QP pr stream in the PPS, slize_qp_delta per
image in slice_header and delta per macroblock.

>From the standard:
----

pic_init_qp_minus26 specifies the initial value minus 26 of SliceQPY
for each slice. The initial value is modified at the
slice layer when a non-zero value of slice_qp_delta is decoded, and is
modified further when a non-zero value of
mb_qp_delta is decoded at the macroblock layer. The value of
pic_init_qp_minus26 shall be in the range of
−(26 + QpBdOffsetY ) to +25, inclusive.

mb_qp_delta can change the value of QPY in the macroblock layer. The
decoded value of mb_qp_delta shall be in the
range of −( 26 + QpBdOffsetY / 2) to +( 25 + QpBdOffsetY / 2 ),
inclusive. mb_qp_delta shall be inferred to be equal to 0
when it is not present for any macroblock (including P_Skip and B_Skip
macroblock types).

----

The QP value for each MB in a frame appears to be available in
libavcodec/h264.c:1836 in variable
h->next_output_pic->qscale_table

But I fail to find a way to access that data from my function! (I can
run ffmpeg single treaded, and export a global variable containing the
content of qscale_table but that is not what I want)

/Fredrik